Memorial Day is a revered national holiday in the United States, observed on the last Monday of May each year. It serves as a solemn remembrance of the brave men and women who sacrificed their lives while serving in the U.S. armed forces. While most people are familiar with the basics of Memorial Day, there are some lesser-known facts that add depth to our understanding of this significant day.
- Its Origin: The commemoration of fallen soldiers can be traced back to the American Civil War. In 1868, General John A. Logan declared May 30th as Decoration Day, a time for decorating the graves of Union soldiers. Over time, the observance expanded to include honoring all military personnel who died in service.
- The National Moment of Remembrance: In 2000, Congress established the National Moment of Remembrance. At 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day, Americans are encouraged to pause for a minute of silence to honor and remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
- The Poppy Symbolism: The red poppy flower has become a symbol of remembrance for fallen soldiers. Inspired by the famous World War I poem “In Flanders Fields,” written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, the tradition of wearing poppies originated and spread globally as a way to commemorate soldiers.
- Arlington National Cemetery: Located in Arlington, Virginia, this hallowed burial ground serves as the final resting place for many fallen soldiers, including those who fought in the Revolutionary War. On Memorial Day, the President or Vice President traditionally lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, symbolizing the nation’s gratitude.
- The “National Decoration Day”: While Memorial Day is the official name, it was often referred to as “Decoration Day” in its early years. It was a time for families to clean and decorate the graves of their loved ones with flowers, flags, and other tributes. This practice continues today as people visit cemeteries to pay their respects.
Memorial Day stands as a poignant reminder of the selfless sacrifices made by countless individuals who served in the U.S. armed forces. As we enjoy the holiday weekend, let us remember the true significance behind the day and take a moment to honor those who gave their lives for our freedom.
Check out some latest statistics on Memorial Day
During this Memorial Day sale, Revo America is offering Up to 33% off on their wide range of products. Whether you need a robust security camera system for your home or a comprehensive surveillance solution for your business, Revo America has you covered.
In addition to the generous discounts, customers will also enjoy double rewards on every purchase. This means that for every dollar spent, you’ll earn twice the rewards, allowing you to save even more on future purchases.
What’s more, Revo America is offering free shipping on orders above $100, making it even more convenient for you to acquire the security solutions you need without any additional costs.
But that’s not all! As an exclusive benefit, Revo America has a special coupon available only for email subscribers. By subscribing to their newsletter, you can unlock an extra discount, maximizing your savings during this Memorial Day sale.
Take advantage of the Revo America Memorial Day Sitewide Sale to safeguard your property and protect your loved ones. Visit https://www.revoamerica.com/ for more information and to explore their wide range of security solutions.
Remember, while enjoying the holiday, it’s crucial to keep your loved ones safe, and Revo America can help you achieve that peace of mind.